|SuperFriends Comic Book Character|
|Real name:||Zatanna Zatara|
|Relatives:||Giovanni 'John' Zatara (father)|
|Affiliations:||Justice League of America|
Justice League of America Team Member
Zatanna “Zee” Zatara is the daughter of magician Giovanni Zatara and Sindella; who were from the parallel-universe of Earth-Two, and members of the mystical “Homo magi” race. By virtue of birth then, Zatanna is also a member of the Homo magi race.
On the parallel-universe of Earth-One, Zatanna made her living as a successful stage illusionist prior to discovering her magical abilities while investigating the disappearance of her father.
In late 73', Zatanna solicited the help of Hawkgirl, Hawkman, the Atom, Elongated Man, Green Lantern and Batman and Robin on seperate occasions helped her search for her father. This quest lasted till early 76'. During which, she was successfully reunited with him. Their time together was short, and unfortunately, both of her parents were killed on separate occasions while saving her life.
Powers and Abilities
Sorcery: Zatanna is a homo magi, a human born with the affinity to manipulate magic.
- Elemental Sorcery: With her magic Zatanna has shown a greatest affinity to manipulate the elements of the Earth.
- Elemental Transmutation:Ability to rearrange atoms and molecules in both inorganic and organic matter
- Pyrokinesis: Generation and Control of fire
- Aerokinesis: Generation and Control of Air
- Geokinesis: Control of Earth/Rock
- Hydrokinesis: Control of Water
- Cryokinesis: Generation and Control of Ice
- Weather Manipulation
- Chlorokinesis: Control over plants
- Thermokinesis: She has used this ability a few times to stay warm in frigid environments.
- Superhuman Strength
- Superhuman Durability
- Dimensional Travel
- Force Field
- Probability Manipulation
- Magical Awareness: supernatural sensitivity to occult activities and mystic phenomena.
- Dispel: Able to remove illusions and holographic images that her opponents have set up.
- Elemental Conversion
- Molecular Conversion
- Regeneration: Able to heal herself and others
- Size Alteration
- Spectral Sight: She can see spiritual entities and travelers invisible to normal sight; she can perceive magical events at a great distance.
- Magical Manipulation: Zatanna is also capable of using all personal and universal magic
- Extraction and Transportation of Souls
- Mystical Invulnerability
- Prestidigitation: Zatanna is skilled in stage magic, performing simple tricks and elaborate illusions.
- Hand-to-Hand Combat
- Backwards Speech: Backwards Speech is most commonly known as Mnemonic Incantations.
- Mnemonic Incantation: Zatanna must concentrate on her magic to make sure she is using the proper spell. It is at this point where she is most vulnerable. Mnemonic incantation is the most complicated of the mystic arts. It appears that this is well known to her enemies.
- Higher-Level Magics: If the magic power-level of her opponent is higher than hers, then it would be extremely difficult for her to win a battle. In addition, it is difficult to impossible to affect a spell that was set in motion with higher-level magics.
Magic Wand: Often seen with a magic wand, although whether it is a stage prop or an actual focus for her powers remains unknown. She doesn't need it though, considering her recent appearances without one and being able to cast spells effectively.
Justice League Team Members
Members of the Justice League
Aquaman (founding member) • Batman (founding member) • Superman (founding member) • Flash (founding member)
Zatanna did not appear in any episodes of the Superfriends.
As a Wax Figure in late 1975:
- Super Friends, Vol. 2 #5 (June 1, 1977) – Mentioned Only
- Zatanna first appears in Hawkman, Vol. 1 #4 (October-November 1964).
- She was created by writer Gardner Fox and artist Murphy Anderson.
- Zatanna appeared next in Hawkman, Vol. 2 #4, because she and Shayera Hol (Hawkgirl) had become close friends.
- 1970s character Conjura is similar to her.
- In the 2018 series DC Superhero Girls, created by Lauren Faust, she is called “Zee”.
- Zatanna at DC Comics.com
- Zatanna at the DC Database
- Zatanna Comic Book (Earth-One) Index
- Zatanna Chronology at the Grand Comics Database
- Zatanna at the Comic Book DataBase
- The Homo Magi first appeared as "The Hidden Ones" in Justice League of America, Vol. 1 #164 (March 1979), which can be found at the DC Database.
- This event was in early 67 in the Earth-One Universe. It was changed to late 73 in the Earth-1A universe, to assume continuity.
- As revealed in Hawkman, #4 (October/November 1964), which can be found at the DC Database.
- As revealed in Atom, #18 (May 1965), which can be found at the DC Database.
- As revealed in Detective Comics, #355 (Sept. 1966), which can be found at the DC Database.
- As revealed in Green Lantern, Vol. 2, #42 (Jan. 1966), which can be found at the DC Database.
- As revealed in Justice League of America, Vol. 1 #51 (February, 1967), which can be found at the DC Database.
- The series culminated in Justice League of America, Vol. 1 #51 (Feb. 1967); which can be found at DC Database. This Justice League adventure took place during the Batman television craze where Batman was featured prominently on the cover.
- As seen in the Limited Collectors' Edition #C-41 (December 1975 / January 1976).
- As seen in Supergirl, #1 - #4 and #7 (1972-73).
- As revealed in Justice League of America, #87 (February 1971); which can be found at DC Database.
- As revealed in Justice League of America, Vol. 1 #161 (Dec. 1978); which can be found at DC Database.
- As revealed in Super Friends, Vol. 2 #5 (June 1, 1977).
- Go to the DC Database for more on Hawkman, Vol. 1 #4 (October-November 1964).
- Go to the DC Database for more on Hawkman, Vol. 2 #4 (November, 1986).