|SuperFriends Comic Book Character|
|AKA:||Starro, the Conqueror|
|Universe:|| Earth-One |
Starro (a.k.a. Starro the Conqueror) was a strange alien creature had a central eye and prehensile extremities resembling a giant starfish that could fly and travel in deep space. It appeared to only hunger for universal conquest, especially of planets that teamed with intelligent life.
In 1960 Starro arrives on Earth, empowered three starfish to wreak havoc by exploding an atom bomb and absorbing its energy, kidnapping scientists and absorbing their brain power and placing the residents of Happy Harbor and Rhode Island under its mental control. Justice League heroes: Aquaman, Flash, Green Lantern, Martian Manhunter and Wonder Woman work together to defeat the alien, eventually coating it with quicklime (at the suggestion of Snapper Carr), which nullifies its' abilities.
A few years later, it appears that a segment of Starro had survived. This time under the command of Captain Cuda. Together they are attacking the Jewel People for the riches they protect. Aquaman and Aqualad are able to defeat them. Captain Cuda is put to work in the Jewel Peoples mines. Starro escapes.
A few more years later, it is learned not only had a segment of Starro survived, it had regenerated into a complete creature, but was stopped by Aquaman before it is able to renew its plan of conquest.
Powers and Abilities
- Star Conqueror Physiology
- Super strength
- Space Flight
- Mind Control
- Energy Absorption/Projection
- Color Alteration
First actual Earth-One Appearance:
- Brave and the Bold, Vol. 1 #28 (March, 1960)
First actual Earth-1A Appearance:
The Superman/Aquaman Hour of Adventure (1967 - 1968):
As a Wax Figure in late 1975:
- Starro first appears in Brave and the Bold, Vol. 1 #28 (March, 1960) in a story called "Starro the Conqueror", which was also the first appearance of the Justice League of America. According to editor Julius Schwartz, the title “Starro the Conqueror" was inspired by a Ray Cumming’s story, “Tyranno the Conqueror”.
- He was created by Gardner Fox and drawn by Mike Sekowsky.
- ↑ As revealed in Brave and the Bold, Vol. 1 #28 (March, 1960), which can be found at the DC Database.
- ↑ As revealed in The Superman/Aquaman Hour of Adventure episode: In Captain Cuda's Clutches (1967).
- ↑ As revealed in Adventure Comics, Vol. 1 #451 (May-June 1977), which can be found at the DC Database.
- ↑ As seen in the SuperFriends Comic Book (1976-1981) issue: Limited Collectors' Edition #C-41 (December 1975 / January 1976).
- ↑ As seen in the comic story: Wonder Twins, Part Two (December 21, 2016).
- ↑ American Comic Book Chronicles 1960–1964 by John Wells. TwoMorrows Publishing, 2012, Page 17.