- You may be looking for Shazam! (live action TV Show, 1974 to 1976).
- You may be looking for The Kid Super Power Hour with Shazam! (the 1981 animated series).
- You may be looking for Captain Marvel.
Before he was known as Shazam, he was a young shepherd boy in ancient Canaan, who soon becomes known as the Champion one of the world's first superheroes. By speaking the magic word "VLAREM!" (an anagram of "Marvel", which represented fictional gods); he was granted great power.
At one point, the Champion is seduced by a demoness disguised as a beautiful woman, and the two of them conceive two half-demon offspring, Blaze and Satanus, much to the displeasure of the gods.
He later creates the Rock of Eternity, which becomes his mysterious lair.
After fighting evil for centuries, time began to take its toll on Shazam and he magically brought Billy Batson to the cave where he had trapped the Seven Deadly Enemies of Man. After giving Billy the power to become Captain Marvel, a stone block fell and crushed Shazam. However, afterward Captain Marvel could summon Shazam's ghost to advise him by lighting a brazier in the cave.
When a young Billy Batson first meets him, Shazam tells Billy that his name is an acronym for six Greco-Roman deities and heroes, and Judeo-Christian prophets. These ancients empower him with certain attributes:
- S The wisdom of Solomon;
- H The strength of Hercules;
- A The stamina of Atlas;
- Z The power of Zeus;
- A The courage of Achilles;
- M The speed of Mercury.
Powers and Abilities
The following are fictional godds, represented by the word, VLAREM:
|V|| for the strength of |
|The Champion has incredible amounts of super strength, and is able to easily bend steel, punch through walls, and lift massive objects.|
|L|| for the wisdom of |
|As the Champion, Shazam has instant access to a vast amount of scholarly knowledge.|
|A|| for the speed |
|By channeling Arel's speed, the Champion can fly and move at great speeds.|
|R|| for the power of |
| Ribalvei's power, besides fueling the magic thunderbolt that transformed the Champion, also enhances his other physical and mental abilities. |
It also provides physical invulnerability, grants magic resistance against most magic spells and attacks; as well as allowing for interdimensional travel.
|E|| for the courage of |
|Like wisdom, this aspect is primarily psychological and gives the Champion superhuman amounts of inner strength on which to draw.|
|M|| for the stamina of |
| Using Marzosh's endurance, the Champion can withstand and survive most types of extreme physical assaults. |
Additionally, he does not need to eat, sleep, or breathe and can survive unaided in space when in his Champion form.
- He was created by Bill Parker and C. C. Beck for Fawcett Comics.
- He first appears in Whiz Comics, Vol.1 #2 (February 1940).
- ↑ From the his 1981 animated appearance
- ↑ In his first appearance in Whiz Comics, vol. 1 #2, they place his age at 3,000 years old. By the Bronze Age, they place his age around 7,000 years old.
- ↑ In a story written by E. Nelson Bridwell for World's Finest Comics, vol. 1 #262 (April/May 1980), Shazam's origins are further explored.
- ↑ Go to DC Database for more on Whiz Comics, Vol.1 #2 (February 1940).