|Real name:||Jonathan Double|
|Occupation:|| Police Officer (former) |
|Base:|| San Francisco, California |
New York City, New York
|Affiliations:||A Non-Powered Diana Prince|
We do know, that on one occasion, he tangles with a crime syndicate when he goes after the mobsters that killed a client's brother.
When a wicked magician learns the secrets of astral projection and begins to commit robberies, detective Double and the Challengers of the Unknown become involved in the case. It is Deadman, however, who ends the crime spree.
Nasthalthia Luthor (Lex Luthor's niece) hires detective Double to trail Linda Danvers, telling him that Linda wants to kill her. She however, is secretly hoping that he will discover if Linda is Supergirl in disguise. He follows the young lady, only to end up being saved by Supergirl after he is captures by a local crime-lord. Later, Johnny tells Nasthalia that he knows she intended to frame Linda for attempted murder and he won't take her case. After she storms out, Jonny can't help but wonder if Linda is Supergirl.
A non-powered Diana Prince meets private detective Jonny Double and two immediately form a romantic bond. In their first adventure together, Diana apparently kills Dr. Cyber. This distresses Diana, but Jonny is there to comfort her.
Short time later, Mr. Ching and Diana are in Jonny Double’s New York City office being attacked by two Asian assassins. They easily defeat them and find themselves embroiled in another mystery – where is Jonny Double? After spending most of the night in the police station, a weary Diana heads home only to find a note telling her to get the Fist of Flame if she wants to see Double alive again. Distressed Diana realizes that she is out of money to all the world-travelling she has done recently. She decides to sell the boutique and her apartment to raise the money she needs. Their journey takes them to Tibet in China and then to the mystical land of Nehwan. They save Jonny and bring him back to earth.
Later, Jonny is at home when an exited Diana comes over. She gushes about being hired by Grandee's Department Store and how Mr. Grandee, its owner, wishes to pay her big bucks for appearing in ads for his store as the symbol of the new liberated woman. The two go out and end up back at Diana's friend Cathy’s apartment, who has done some investigating and tells them that Grandee is under-paying his all-female staff below minimum wage. Diana and Cathy argue. Diana looks to Johnny for support, but he bows out saying he sides with Cathy and heads for the door.
Powers and Abilities
- Jonny Double first appeared in Earth-One continuity in Showcase, #78 (November 1968).
- He was created by Len Wein and Marv Wolfman.
- His last pre-crisis appearance was in Crisis on Infinite Earths, #11 (February, 1986).
- This version of Tim Trench, including all history and corresponding appearances, was erased from existence following the collapse of the original Multiverse in the 1985–86 Crisis on Infinite Earths limited series.
- ↑ As revealed in Showcase, #78 (November 1968).
- ↑ As revealed Challengers of the Unknown, #74 (June-July 1970).
- ↑ As revealed in Adventure Comics, #418 (April 1972).
- ↑ Johnny met Diana in Wonder Woman, #199 (March/April 1972).
- ↑ As revealed in Wonder Woman, #200 (May/June 1972).
- ↑ As revealed in Wonder Woman, #201 (July/August 1972).
- ↑ As revealed in Wonder Woman, #202 (September/October 1972).
- ↑ As revealed in Wonder Woman, #203 (November/December 1972).
- ↑ As revealed in the story-arc in Kobra #5 (November/December 1976); #6 (January/February 1977) and #7 (March/April 1977).
- ↑ As revealed in Crisis on Infinite Earths, #11 (February, 1986).