|SuperFriends Comic Book Character|
|Real name:||Ira Quimby|
Ira Quimby, aka I.Q. is a brilliant scientist, turned petty crook, and a frequent enemy of Hawkman.
In the parallel universe, known as Earth-One, Ira Quimby, in late 63' is accidentally exposed to the radiation from a rock that had been irradiated by one of Adam Strange's Zeta Beams. Quimby soon discovers that he has gained a genius level intelligence and begins dubbing himself I.Q.
He starts using his new intellect to plan a series of jewelry heists. I.Q.'s heightened intelligence turns out to short-lived, but re-exposure to the rock restores it. Hawkman is able to track down I.Q. by analyzing traces of the rock, and arrests I.Q. and his new gang.
A few years later in 65', the imprisoned I.Q. discovers that his heightened intelligence returns whenever he is exposed to sunlight. He is able to create an invisibility device out of common items and escape from jail, and resume his life of crime.
Powers and Abilities
- Super intelligence: Thanks to exposure to modified Zeta Beam radiation, I.Q. is super intelligent. His intelligence allows him to create advanced weapons and tools out of common objects. The power and duration of his intelligence are determined by how much sunlight he has been exposed to.
Ira Quimby did not appear in any episode of the Superfriends TV Show.
- Justice League of America, Vol. 1 #61 (March 1968)
- JLA 80-Page Giant, #2/2 (November 1999) -- post-crisis retconned appearance
- SuperFriends Comic Book: Limited Collectors' Edition #C-41 (December 1975 / January 1976)
- Super Friends, #8 (November 1, 1977) -- indirectly referenced
- Ira Quimby first appeared in Mystery in Space, Vol. 1 #87 (November, 1963).
- He was created by Gardner Fox and Carmine Infantino.