|Homeworld:||Calor (formerly) |
|Base:||Gorilla City (formery) |
Hall of Doom
|Affiliations:||League of Evil|
Legion of Doom
|Voiced/Played:||Stanley Ralph Ross|
|Gorilla Grodd Gallery|
Legion of Doom Team Member
In the parallel universe of Earth-One, Grodd is originally from the planet Calor, not earth. Growing up, he lived in a beautiful city, unmatched by any other on the planet. In the midst of a hostile environment they created a virtual paradise. Yet, it was doomed to fail. At a moment a massive volcano could erupt and destroy the city. They knew they had to leave the planet, but were incapable of interplanetary flight. Then on one fateful occasion, Grodd witnesses the Green Lantern fight the Dryg. Grodd heads back to his city and informs Solovar that, if all the gorillas work together, they can tap into the ring's energy and use it to transport ‘Gorilla City’ to Earth. They use their mind-control to coerce Green Lantern to use his ring and transport their city through space and to earth. On the way, Grodd demands to be made leader because he found the human and it was his idea to save the city. This was denied by Solovar and so the two fight. Grodd eventually looses. In the confusion Grodd was able to siphon some of the Green Lantern's ring's energy to make good on his escape. Once relocated on Earth, Solivar uses his own mental powers to make Green Lantern forget everything. Solovar then fabricates the story that his sentient apes have been on earth for eons.
Their new home is in Africa in a hidden valley, under a hidden dome.
Shortly before Grodd was banished from Gorilla City, Solovar was captured by humans and turns up in a zoo in Central City. He posed as an ordinary ape in order to keep Gorilla City a secret. Grodd followed him to Central City, because he wanted to learn the secrets of Solovar's ability telepathically control the minds of others (force-of-mind powers). He believed that Solovar would be at his most vulnerable, and would be easily overtaken. With this knowledge Grodd wanted to command the simian armies and take over the world. Grodd is able to steal the ability and returns to Gorilla City to begin his plans of domination. Solovar frees himself by telepathically contacting Barry Allen, who as the Flash, helps the gorilla leader escape. Barry becomes the first human to learn of the city’s existence and its location. Flash manages to battle Grodd by spinning around him so fast, it renders him unconscious and removes his mind-control ability and the knowledge of ever having it from his memories. Flash then turns Grodd over to Solovar for punishment, and promises not to reveal the secret of Gorilla City's location to the rest of the world.
This led to a rivalry between Grodd and the Flash, as well as an alliance between the Flash and Solovar.
Powers and Abilities
- Super-Gorilla Strength
- Super-Gorilla Agility
- Enhanced Senses
- Genius-Level Intellect: has the knowledge of technology beyond the development of human civilization
- Telepathy: This is not a natural ability.
- Telekinesis: This is not a natural ability.
- Mind Control: This is not a natural ability.
Legion of Doom Team Members
|Members of the Legion of Doom|
- Gorilla Grodd first appeared in Flash, #106 (May, 1959).
- He was created by writer John Broome and artist Carmine Infantino.
- For more on Gorilla Grodd see article at Wikipedia
- See the Gorilla Grodd Disambiguation Page at DC Database
Appearances in Other Media
- This battle between Hal Jordan and the Dryg was first told in Green Lantern, #1 (August, 1960). In this tale, it was later revealed in DC Super-Stars, #14 (May/June 1977) that the battle was watched by a sentient gorilla named Grodd.
- As revealed in DC Super-Stars, #14 (May/June 1977).
- As revealed in Flash, #106 (April-May 1959).
- The above continuity is from Earth-One, and found in Flash, #106 which was published in May, 1959.
- Go to the DC Database for more on Flash, Vol. 1 #106 (May, 1959)