|Universe:|| Earth-One |
The evil sorcerer Count Crystal's past is shrouded in mystery. We know very little about his exploits.
In the parallel-universe of Earth-One, sorcerer Count Crystal makes a contract with the Azgore, the Demon of Death for supernatural power upon his defeat and sacrifice of the Justice League members. He tells Azgore that he will help defeat the Justice League in exchange for supernatural power. Invading the JLA Satellite, Azgore uses his magic to kill Superman who was on monitor duty. The Phantom Stranger summons Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Arrow, Black Canary, Hawkman, and Hawkgirl to a séance-like ritual in the hope of returning the Man of Steel to life. Contacting Superman's spirit, they then set out for the community of Rutland, Vermont, from which the Stranger leads them into the extradimensional realm known as the Carnival of Souls. After battling the Count, a monstrous creature, and devilish carnival rides, the heroes lose their only shield against the Count's magical power when the Phantom Stranger apparently perishes. The then abducts Hawkgirl from their midst. While Hawkgirl turns the Count's plans to make her his consort against him and rescues her allies, the Phantom Stanger joins Superman in spirit form, and saves him from being consumed by Azgore. Just as the Count kills Hawkman, the demon, furious at its failure to feast on Superman, appears and turn on the Count, destroying him. The Stranger seizes the moment of the Count's demise to return himself, Superman, and Hawkman to life.
- Count Crystal was created by Steve Englehart and Anthony Tollin.
- His first (and perhaps only) appearance was in Justice League of America, #145 (August, 1977).
- The Count was mentioned in the follow-up story in Justice League of America, #146 (September , 1977) which focused on the Red Tornado.
- Count Crystal was also mentioned at least on e more time in Superman Family, #185 (October, 1977)
- ↑ As revealed in Justice League of America, #145 (August, 1977).